Heavy plant mechanics
The Solomon Islands Ports Authority invites applications from interested and suitable applicants with relevant qualifications, experience and attributes for the position of 2 Heavy Plant Mechanics which needs to be filled in the company workshop.
Purpose of the Position
To provide timely support to the key operations and work programs by providing adequate and continuous machine coverage and equipment availability. Ensure that ships operations, cargo handling, and container washing are not delayed or halted due to unnecessary machine down time.
Roles / Responsibilities
- Carry out pre-start and other routine checks for plant, equipment and vehicles and rectify any issues or problems identified.
- Carry out preventive maintenance and scheduled service and overhaul.
- Carry out all repairs to all plant, equipment and vehicles in an urgent and timely manner.
- Consult with the Electrical Supervisor for all issues and problems concerning and related to electrical systems and controls for all plant, equipment and vehicles.
- Responsible for manning the standby generator in consultation with the Electricians.
- Carry out pre-start checks each morning and ensure that the genset is fully operational ready to cut-in as soon as grid supply is out. Carry out service, repair and maintenance as necessary.
- Responsible for housekeeping within the mechanical workshop and its surrounding areas.
- Carry out other duties necessary as prescribed by the Workshop Manager.
- Passion to deliver results and to provide excellent service
- Supportive and effective teamwork
- Honesty, fairness and integrity.
- Be creative
- Reliable and trusted
- Able to work during odd hours including weekends when required
- Self confidence
- Good behaviour & attitude to work
Qualification / Experience
- Heavy Plant Trade certificate graduate from SICHE/SINU/APTC upgrade or similar institutions
- At least have 10 – 15 year’s work experience
- A self-starter (ability to work on your own and be relied upon)
Solomon Islands Ports Authority is an equal opportunity employer and provides industry standard benefits and good working conditions to its employees.
If you have the relevant qualification, experience and attributes, please submit your application by mail or visit our Administration Office along the Commonwealth Street, Dowling Drive, Point Cruz.
Applications can be sent in writing marked “Heavy Plant Mechanic” and addressed to:
Head of Human Resources
S I Ports Authority
P O Box 307
Closing date: 7th October 2019 at 4.30 pm.